Monday, May 18, 2009

Stuffed peppers with brown rice for dinner

Two nights ago I went to the store for groceries. Each grocery trip I aim for a few positive natural type or organic choices in the grocery fare as well as some choices that are closer to the original food-for example: rather than choosing white enriched rice I choose whole grain brown rice. it does take longer to cook so to help the weeks menu out I cooked brown rice this evening for tonight's stuffed green peppers and made enough rice for a second dish to save later in the fridge. Sunny loved the stuffed peppers, they reminded her of something she had sampled in her school nutrition course (this reminded me that it helps to try new foods repeatedly to get the kids to accept them...which in turn helped me accept Moses and Adrianna's rejection of the meal)For the filling I sauted green onions, thinly sliced celery, sliced some fresh organic tomatoes, added cumin and a little of this and that (Trader Joes Sea Salt, freshly ground pepper, leftover organic Pacific foods tomato soup and stirred in black beans, spinach -filled them and baked them at 350 for 15 minutes. They were good, they tasted light and fresh, a good summer-is-on-the-way sort of light meal. Next time Ithink I will roast the peppers longer and add a little more spice variety ( I was afraid to overdo it with the kids taste buds this time around-maybe chile powder and whole garlic rather than the powdered variety.) I would love to hear any tips you might have for incorporating more healthy choices into your meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment