Monday, May 11, 2009

5 minute Monday Make over: An eco-friendly change

I've got a confession to make. I just may not be the perfect gal to be promoting the natural, organic lifestyle. I'd say if I were to grade myself I would likely get a generous C. Between friends, I'll reveal some of my failings: I take 20 minute long, steamy hot showers. And I like the water pressure pretty fierce. I think of a Sesame Street episode encouraging kids to turn the water off while they brush. Ernie is hovering over the bathroom sink on one side of the frame leaving the water running.. The opposite side has a sad guppy fish looking more and more worried as his water level is going lower and lower. I feel a kinship with Ernie as I indulge. I love chocolate and haven't ever thought twice about the fair trade varieties in my selection. Taste and price have been my motivators. (A glimmer of hope: I don't drink coffee, never have so that fair trade dilemma is not on my shoulders!) I make Kraft macaroni and cheese for my kids for too often. I am an educated woman, I am well aware of my kids nutritional needs. Sometimes I am to lazy to wash out the spaghetti sauce glass jar so rather than recycling it I hide it in the trash, hiding it for fear the Gods will know (and my husband who is thankfully a lot more constant than I). Phew, now you know- perhaps from here on out there's room only for good change .
Let's face it. Nobody's perfect. We're all here on this earth to improve one another and to learn and to be constantly striving to improve. To hold myslef accountable and to try to have a little fun in the process here's what I plan to do. Each Monday I'm going to give myself a 5 minute Monday Make-over. It'll be a small tidbit focusing on a manageable bite of ecoconscious living. It may be something I try to enact all week with my whole family. Check up on me, see how it goes, I'll keep you posted. I'd love to see anyone else take the same challenges or a variation in your lives. Feel free to share. There's something empowering about a spirit of comradery.
May 10, 2009
5 minute showers each day.
I have an hour glass timer on my bathroom counter ready to go. Here we go.
http://www.dandelionsummers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment